January 29, 2011 Candle Cartridge Testing

posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:11 AM by Peter Lucas   [ updated Feb 25, 2011, 5:11 AM ]

    On January 29, 2011, additional tests were preformed with the “candle cartridges.  The results were generally disappointing.  In order to make construction of the cartridges easier, I put a piece of paper inside the candle mold prior to pouring in the binder.  I also used a mix of 80% Crisco and 20% paraffin as the binder.   The candle cartridges had a one ounce load of 6 shot with an equal volume of FFFG.  The tests were performed with a Beretta Tercentennial at 20, 30 and 40 yards.

Here are the results:

 Loose Charges
 20 yards    
 Candle Cartridges
 20 yards
 
  
 
 
  
 
 
  
 
 
  
 
 Loose Charges      
 30 yards
 Candle Cartridges
 30 yards
 NO IMAGE
  
 
 NO IMAGE  
 
 
  
 
 
  
 
 Loose Charges  
 40 yards
 Candle Cartridges
 40 yards
 
  NO IMAGE 
 
 
 NO IMAGE
 
 
  
 
 
  
 

Summary of Pellet Strikes

 

Loose Charges


Candle cartridges


10

20

30

total


10

20

30

total

20 yard targets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Loose 1/candle 9

87

107

31

225

 

24

72

63

159

loose 2/candle 10

84

109

22

215

 

64

89

38

191

loose 3/candle 11

87

95

30

212

 

57

95

43

195

loose 4/candle 12

87

110

26

223

 

74

89

44

207

Average

86.25

105.25

27.25

218.75

 

54.75

86.25

47

188











30 yard targets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

loose 5/candle 5

 

 

 

 

 

16

43

45

104

loose 6/candle 6

 

 

 

 

 

21

50

51

122

loose 7/candle 7

46

81

67

194

 

18

42

69

129

loose 8/candle 8

32

76

62

170

 

23

56

58

137

 

39

78.5

64.5

182

 

19.5

47.75

55.75

123











40 yard targets

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

loose 9/candle 1

10

15

23

48

 

 

 

 

 

loose 10/candle 2

15

54

60

129

 

 

 

 

 

loose 11/candle 3

22

48

47

117

 

14

45

56

115

loose 12/candle 4

15

28

38

81

 

22

52

37

111

 

15.5

36.25

42

93.75

 

18

48.5

46.5

113

 

Based on this sample, the loose charges out preformed the candle cartridges.  I am going back to the original method of construction and pure Crisco for some more testing.

Comments